First up in our ‘How to look younger’ series is advice for men, we have seen an increase in male clients coming to see us. We frequently get clients who feel they are starting to look older than they should. Remedies has 22 years of skin care knowledge and experience, and we get results. We had over 350 male client visits last year, so we must be doing something right. Read on for knowledge, hints and tips from our team of therapists!
Alec Baldwin (left), 59, looks fantastic, and we know why. His wife Hilaria was recently quoted in an interview as saying “He uses all of my products!”
George Clooney (right) is known to look after his skin, having high end facials, and as he says “I hit the spa and I enjoy steam rooms.” It’s looking good on you George!
We had a new male client book online for a Consultation Facial (prompted by his wife!), as his New Year resolution was to sort out his prematurely ageing skin. We find this generation of male clients haven’t previously considered skincare (only shaving cream at best) and this can cause problems if they are using the wrong products. This 53 year old man left the clinic with a better understanding of HIS skin, and was given a simple regime to better look after it. He had some facial pigmentation from time in Portugal playing golf (without a good SPF on), but we can help with that too!
In order to address the signs of ageing, such as fine lines, wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation we need to address a few key points:
How is male skin different?
- Obvious difference is facial hair growth starting at puberty due to an increase in testosterone.
- Due to male hormones, the skin is about 25% thicker in males.
- There is a higher collagen density, hence men tend to age slower than females. However, generally they use less UV protection so this is often negated.
- Regular texture and thicker Stratum Corneum. Sebum production is higher in men generally, as is sweat production. There is more lactic acid in their sweat, which may help with hydration.
How can men help their skin look younger?
- Moisturise daily, even if the skin is oily
- Use products containing key ingredients such as silicone and hyaluronic acid to boost collagen and elastin production.
- Always use a suitable sunscreen.
- Use gentle ph. balanced shaving creams or gels.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat a well balanced varied diet, containing fresh ingredients.
- Limit sun exposure.
- Exercise frequently.
- Increase intake of anti-oxidants to prevent free radical damage in the form of supplements.
- Environ Sebuwash
- Environ AVST 1 moisturiser
- Medik8 SPF 30 daily moisturiser or Vitage SPF30
- ANP Antioxidant Supplements
We would highly recommend regular facial peels every 6-8 weeks, and Combine Facial Treatments (CFT) for excellent results. Also, unsightly red veins, especially on the nose can be very ageing, as can skin tags, we can help get rid of these for you!
If you want to look in the mirror and feel good again (perhaps even knock a few years off), Remedies can help! Call or book online.